No matter if we have a feature phone or smartphone we all love it. We all take care of our phones more than our life and it is with us wherever we go. There might be times in everyone’s life when we all have accidently damaged our phones with water. Most of our phones become wet in rain or when we go for swimming and just for fun our friend push us in the pool. The phone might stop working after becoming wet unless it is water resistance phone.
How to Fix Water Damaged Phone?
- Remove Battery: Open back cover of the phone and take out the battery to prevent phone from getting short.
- Dissemble Phone: Use a screwdriver to disassemble the phone.
- Remove PCB: Disconnect all connectors (Camera, Display, Touch Screen Digitizer etc.) and remove PCB (Printer Circuit Board) out of the phone.
- PCB Cleaner: Apply PCB Cleaner (IPA – Isopropyl Alcohol) and clean PCB with the help of a toothbrush.
- Dry PCB: Apply some heat on logic board with the help of SMD Rework Station but If you do not have SMD station you can use the hair dryer or hot air gun for drying.
- Reassemble Phone: Make sure you connect all connectors after installing board and reassemble phone.
- Start Phone: Insert battery and turn on your phone.
Note: Make sure you apply IPA cleaner only to the PCB and not Display or Camera.
What shouldn’t you do when the phone drops in water?
- Don’t try to switch on your phone.
- Do not shake your phone.
- Do not use blower or microwave to heat your phone.
Which other solution I can use for cleaning PCB if I do not have IPA cleaner?
We strongly recommend using IPA cleaner but you can still use Petrol or thinner as well.
Can I Repair Salt Water Damaged Phone using IPA Cleaner?
Salt is a very good conductor of electricity and it will surely get short if you drop it in salt water. So chances of repairing salt water damaged phones are very less.
Is it possible to Repair Water Damaged Phone without using Tools?
Even though we strongly recommend to open the phone and clean it using IPA cleaner but if you do not have tools to open your phone you can remove battery, SIM and memory card and keep the cell overnight in a bag of uncooked rice. You can also use a vacuum cleaner to remove water from the phone.