Have you ever tried setting up a strong password for your accounts and ended up forgetting the same ? Soon you will be learning how to Create a Strong Password which you will always remember. So no need to worry anymore.
What is Password?
A password is a secret word or a phrase which is used for authentication purpose to prove identity so that authorize person can access resources and this secret word should be kept confidential to avoid an illegitimate person from accessing the same.
What Strong Password should Contain?
- Numbers: Strong password should contain numbers (0 through 9).
- Letters: It should consist of English uppercase character (A through Z) and English lowercase Character (a through z).
- Symbols: Strong password should also contain special character or symbol (for example @, !, ?, $,%, #).
- Spaces: You should also keep spaces to make the password stronger.
How to Create a Strong Password You’ll Always Remember?
Now we know that strong password is a combination of numbers, uppercase letters, lowercase letters, and symbols. A password should also be lengthy i.e. Minimum Password Length should be 10-12, but supposedly if we create such password for eg. P@s3?#0Dc6&(H- then we will forget it for sure. So now we will see how we can make easy to remember strong password and for that, we will be using something called passphrase. A phrase or sentence is a group of word that can help us a lot in making easy to remember password lets see how.
Let us take a phrase called “make it easy” but suppose if you look at the phrase then you will notice that it only meets 1 requirement of password complexity i.e. password length but does not contain any number or symbol. So this password won’t be considered as a strong password. So let’s make it strong and for doing that we need to do following changes:
- We will make the first letter of every word capital. So the phrase will become something like Make It Easy.
- So now you have seen that we made our password little stronger by converting the first letter of every word capital, we will also see now how we can use numbers and symbols and for doing so we can replace the specific letter that looks alike specific number or symbol. For eg., we can replace a with @, i with 1, o with 0 and so on. So if we use this trick our password will become something like M@k3 1t E@sy.
Now we had seen how we can make password easier using pass-phrases. Let us look at what are the other ways that you can use to make password complex but easy to remember.
- Let’s take a name and a number for example Viraj 12345.
- We can create password something like Viraj@12345.
- Even though we can create a password something like Viraj@12345 it is more common and most of the identity thieves can guess it. So instead of creating a password like I shown u in step 2 we can create something like Viraj + 12345 = V1i2r3a4j5.
- We can also add symbols and spaces at the beginning and at the end of the password and our password will look somewhat like @ V1i2r3a4j5 @.
- Sticky Notes: Never write your password on a paper and keep it on your desk. Some social engineer might try to get your sensitive information from sticky notes using dumpster diving.
- Different Passwords for Different Accounts: It is always recommended that you set a different password for the different account.
- Keeping Password Confidential: You should never share your password with anyone, not even with your best friends.
- Shoulder Surfing: Make sure no one can see your password from behind when you enter it.
- Log Out: It is always recommended that you log out when you leave your device.
- Change Password: Change your password regularly after every 10-15 days or at least once in a month.
- Public Devices: Avoid entering a password on devices of your friends, school library and cyber cafe.
- Updated Antivirus: Update your antivirus to prevent the latest malware from stealing your sensitive information like a password.
- Password Manager: Use a password manager to manage passwords of your different accounts.