You must be wondering what autorun is and why there is a need to disable it. Autorun allows to auto start program from removable medias such as CD, DVD, Pen Drives, External Hard Disk, Memory Cards and much more. Autoplay often allows exploiters to infect our machine with malware by editing simple file known as autorun.inf. So changing the default behavior of autorun or autoplay and disabling it plays a huge role in protecting your computer. Nowadays lots of antivirus and security suites come with an inbuilt feature to disable autorun but if your antivirus does not offer such thing then this tutorial will assist you to block autorun of removable medias in windows without using any third party software.
Steps to Disable AutoRun / Autoplay:
1. Click on start and in search box type edit group policy and press enter. You can also open local group policy editor by going in run and typing gpedit.msc and clicking on ok.
2. Once group policy editor got open you will be able to see computer configuration and user configuration, navigate to administrative templates under computer configuration and right click on it.
3. Navigate to filter option and click on it.
4. Mark enable keyword filter.
5. In the filter for words search box type autorun and click on ok.
6. Double click on all settings and edit Default behavior for AutoRun.
7. You will be able to see three radio selection button that is not configured, enable and disable. You need to select enable and from options, select do not execute any autorun commands.
8. Apply the settings and click on ok.